I found this cute growler at a flea market while visiting Tennessee last month. I thought it would make a great addition to the den. I wasn’t having any luck finding inexpensive lamp works and then I came across this small lamp at a rummage sale – complete with shade for $1.00! Problem solved!
I took the lamp apart and asked (nagged) HOUSEMATE to help me drill the bottle and reassemble the lamp parts inside the growler.
There are good instructions for drilling glass in the ‘Ode to Wine” category of this blog under wine bottle crafts.
Just remember, use a specialty drill bit – go REALLY slow and keep the glass wet. This is generally a two person job.
HOUSEMATE is so talented, he was able to drill the hole to the exact size of the grommet taken out of the lamp to protect the cord from the glass edge
We then assembled the lamp parts inside the growler and HOUSEMATE taught me how to rewire it, so next time I could do it myself (teach a girl to fish)
Once the parts were reassembled in the growler, I used some heavy duty glue to attach the top to the bottle
Next for the shade. I took an old piece of burlap, pressed it out and then cut a piece large enough to go around the shade and fold over at both ends. I cut it a little long on the top to allow for the folds I was going to put in. I used the selvage edge of the burlap for the bottom and pressed under the two side ends. Then attached it using hot glue so it was just barely below the bottom edge of the shade. I found it easiest to work in small sections at a time.
Finish by overlapping the pressed edges.
Once I had the entire bottom edge of the lamp covered with the burlap, I started tucking/pleating the top edge in place just with my fingers, placing tucks evenly around the top. once I had it to my liking, I trimmed off the excess top, leaving just enough to fold inside the top and attached that with hot glue.
Using hot glue, I secured each tuck from the top to about 3 inches down with hot glue.
Here is the finished cover
I decided it needed a little extra decorations and I found some black ribbon and some metal brads from my scrapbooking collection. I measured 3 inches from the top on each tuck and made a small mark with a marker. Then I strung the brads on the ribbon and inserted each one at the marks on each fold. I ran them completely through the burlap and the shade and secured them on the inside of the shade. When all were in place, I pulled the ribbon tight and secured it along the back seam.
Here it is, my completed project, a total investment of $6.00, and a great little souvenir.